Monday, May 11, 2020

The Least of These


My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.  It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this quarantine life. My oldest son and his wife decided to bless me not only with flowers, but with a plethora of food that I could never in my life eat.  So much of it that my fridge was filled to overflowing with premade sandwiches and pastries. This morning, getting ready to go out for my walk, I thought about that food.  And as He always does, the Lord made me think of who I could bless with all this. I thought of the little man who sits on the corner by the grocery store near me.  I loaded it all up, added a few of my own goodies in there, and headed out the door.  But when I got to that corner, no one was there. 
I said a little prayer.  “Lord, I know there are those out here without food or shelter.  I just don’t know where they are!  Please show me!”  And then I headed off to a neighborhood Walmart that is in one of “Those” districts.  I often come here because there is a Dollar Tree and have occasionally seen some homeless waving their signs out there.  But today I wanted the Lord to show me WHO and WHERE  instead of following my own previous knowledge.  So I prayed again.  “Lord SHOW ME” 
When I got to the Walmart I noticed a back alley that went behind it.  I had seen it before, but never been down there.  But that driveway shouted at me. ”TURN HERE” (LOL, I know it wasn’t the driveway shouting!)  So down I turned, winding behind the Walmart and several other shops and down another alley that looked vacant and seeing no one.  But then I slowed and looked to my left in some bushes.
There was a young man, trying to pack up his bag (to get away from me I’m sure.) I pulled up, rolled down my window, said good morning, and he responded as he continued to pack his bag.  Then I asked him, “Are you homeless?”  (DOH)  He responded, “Yes I am”   He might have rolled his eyes a bit, like he was thinking “Lady are you stupid?”   But then I asked him, “Are you hungry?”  And his eyes lit up!!  “Yes, I am!!”  I told him that God had led me to him to deliver food.  I thought his jaw was going to fall off when he heard it.  And I asked him to come out of the bushes and over to the car. 
I pulled the bag of food out, and asked him to take whatever he liked.  His eyes were filled with tears, and so were mine.  But he eagerly plunged his hand in and took several sandwiches, a bottle of juice, and some pastries.  Then he looked at me with those tear filled eyes, and said, “Thank you so much!!”  And my response was?  “God sent it to you.”  And I drove off. 
I still had three sandwiches to give away, and no clue how to find anyone.  Every corner I drove past that was usually occupied was barren.  So I prayed again, and God sent me way off of any course I would have chosen.  As I drove though, I seemed to see no one.  And then I spotted someone in the rear view mirror behind a low wall at the Circle K I had just passed.  I made a quick U-turn and came back, parked and walked up to the person, noting as they lifted their head that it was an older woman.  I asked if she was hungry, and her response was nearly the same as the bushman.  So we walked over to my car and I handed her the bag.  When she looked inside, her eyes filled with tears.  She said, “For me?”  I said, “Yes, for you, from God.”  And then the most beautiful smile crossed her face.  She told me her name, I told her mine, and we parted ways. 
I will never forget this experience.  In fact, I will never forget it so much, I am figuring out what kind of sandwiches I can make for the next trip.  I know without a doubt my Lord will guide me to those who are hiding in fear and hungry.  

Matthew 25:40  “ and the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these, my brethren, You have done it unto me. “

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...