Thursday, November 25, 2010

365 days, a journey to find joy in every day!

November 25, 2010

Today I am off to the Giving Tree to serve lunch and possibly dinner.  I am all wired with anticipation.  Although I have helped in little ways before, I have never done it cooperatively with a group.  This should be a real blessing, I hope more for the ones I serve than for myself.   I learned something a few months back, that was a revelation.

There is a man stands out on the corner by my Dad’s church every Sunday morning, in his tattered clothing.  He has a noticeable limp, making me wonder how that happened.  He has a sign that he carries, but I can see that that sign is well used.  He folds it up around noon and leaves.  I have no clue where he goes.

One Sunday on the way to drop my dad at his church, I could hear the Lord telling me to give him some money.  Of course, I argued, because all I had on me was a $10.00 bill.  Of course, in my thinking, I should not give him that much, since perhaps it is the purchase price of a six pack of beer, or even some hard liquor.  But I kept hearing that Still, Small voice in my heart saying “give it to him.”  I did argue with God a little more, but I was obedient and stopped to give him the money.

The look on his face was priceless.  He said, “Are you sure?”  and I said “Yes.”  If he could have jumped with that bad leg he would have, and the words out of his mouth were,” Thank you, Lord! Thank you, Lady! Now I don’t need to stand out here anymore today! God Bless You!”

The realization hit me.  God HAD blessed me.  God had blessed me even more than He had blessed that man.  He blessed me with the opportunity to be His hands, and to see the outcome of the gift.  I told the man, “He just did.”

Today, I am going to be blessed beyond measure. This will be my Thanksgiving Day; being blessed to serve God, with each hungry mouth I feed.  Thank you, Lord for the opportunity, and the calling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...