Thursday, November 25, 2010

365 days, a journey to find joy in every day!

November 24, 2010

Yes, more boring work.  But I accomplished a lot of it, with very little time to spare.  I do not want to have these cases rolling around in my head when I go off to Thanksgiving weekend.  Somehow, they haunt me, when they shouldn’t.    As one of my friends put it, “If I died at my desk, they would shove me over, and move someone else right in.” 

So true, but not at that.  They would HAVE to move someone else right in, but I don’t think they would like it.  I am so blessed by the people I work with, from the director right down to my co-workers.  There is not a day goes by without someone telling me how much they appreciate my work and my team attitude.  It almost makes me think that perhaps retirement is not an option at this time.  Maybe I am making the wrong decision, maybe this, maybe that.

Then I think about my real reason for deciding to retire.  A few months back, I heard a song about following Jesus, being his hands to help, following him to the homes of the broken.  My heart stirred at the thought, for that is where my real gift lies.  Yes, really.  It is not my writing or my painting, although those are wonderful things the Lord has given me. This heart beats stronger and happier every time I help someone else.  Even giving a hug to those in the nursing home, just saying hello to them, makes their day, and mine.  Those months ago, I felt the Lord calling me to do what He designed me to do.  And that was my decision to retire.  I was doing none of the things that God had called me to do, working here.  There is so much need out there.  It is time to put down the work gloves and start to work.  Barehanded, with the gift God gave me. 
My joy today: Anticipation of the time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...