Thursday, December 2, 2010

365 days, a journey to find joy in every day!Sunday November 28, 2010 Martha, Martha, Martha. That is all I could think of this morning, as I rushed, rushed, rushed to get everything in order for the things I have to do today. Somehow, I just can’t seem to kick Martha Mode. Every Sunday I take my dad to church, then attempt to get to mine on time. Most of the time I don’t make it. I usually end up driving back home and collapsing, squandering my day for just a taste of laziness. But today, I decided the Time Bandit would not steal my day. I got up early, went to do Dad’s laundry, took a shower, took the dog for a walk, fed the pets, put on make up and clothing and sprinted out the door. I was already a half hour late. I knew there would be hell to pay when I got to the nursing home to pick up Dad. He is ALWAYS early. I think it must be the Marine code or something. However, when I arrived, he was not cranky or short with me, he was just glad to see me. I paid that no mind, I still had several tasks ahead of me before I could get on to my own tasks. After I dropped him off at church I headed out in far too busy traffic to pick up Bob and take him to church. I could feel my mind racing through the list of things I had to do today, and that was when it hit me. I was grouchy. Grouchy because I had too little time to do too many things that I had decided I had to do. No one made me make these decisions. I didn’t notice that anyone had come in and held me at gunpoint and said “Do the laundry.” No one held me down and forced me to clean out the car. In fact, no one made me decide to do anything. No one but myself. I felt IMPOSED upon by things that I had decided to do. How can one impose upon oneself? Somehow I have managed to do that most of my life when I feel rushed or tired. And the only thing that grouchiness yields, is more grouchiness. No wonder Jesus told Martha she was encumbered with much serving! I feel the same way, and quite often. I have, most of the time, chosen the lesser part of Martha, when being a Mary was right available. Mary being the one who enjoyed the Lord, sat at his feet, fellowshipped with him, enjoyed the company of the disciples and her brother. For an instant, I felt sorry for Martha. But then I remembered that after that incident, you never hear of it again. I suppose Martha did what I did today. Take stock of what is important. Off to church I went, listened to a wonderful teaching, sang praise songs, spent time with an old friend, and most of all let go of all the “Things I had to do.” Today that is my joy, but today may begin a new challenge. To see how many times I have to repurpose myself back to Mary mode. Or would that be giving myself more things to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...