Friday, January 14, 2011

God Loves You!

I was going through some old boxes of "stuff" that I have collected over the years. Several of them are full of the artwork, cards, homework and awards of my children that I could not part with.  I find this old adage to be true: "If your child's art makes it to the refrigerator, it will never leave your heart."  


One of those pieces of artwork just stuck in my mind today.  It is a simple red heart, boldly painted, like a blaring message, emblazoned with the words "God Loves You."  It was done by my second child, who always said he wanted to be a pastor.  It seemed to be in his blood.  Now he is in charge of his own little band of believers, his four children, who no doubt will probably have their own artwork displayed on his refrigerator.  


But it was the message in that piece of art that grabbed me today.  It nearly screamed a message to me, that I hear clearly now, but wonder why I couldn't back when it was given to me.  Back then I was trapped in my codependency, longing so much for a man to love me for who I was, and wasting all my youth, time and love on those who did not care for anything but themselves.  The truth be told, that was exactly what I was doing too.  I was not thinking about those I dated, I was longing for fulfillment for myself.  


Over the years, I came to understand that no man, no human, could give me the love I longed for.  And slowly, very slowly, I began to remember all the times God was there for me, all the miracles He had worked in my life, all the provisions He had made in my times of need.  As I felt that love, I began to grow spiritually.  I am not yet done with that process.  


Somehow I had boxed up His love for me , like some treasure to keep for another day. The problem was, I needed that love every day.  I learned slowly, and am still learning, that I need to remember this every day, every minute of my life. Like my son's picture I had kept in a box, I had boxed up God's love, storing for another day, when I needed it more than food, water or even air.  


Today I put that picture in a frame, along with other artwork, so that I can look at it every day to remind myself that God loves me.  He always has, He always will, I just need to sit up and take notice.  


I hope you will scroll down and listen to the video by Mercy Me, "The Love of God."  I hope it blesses your heart like it did mine. 


GOD LOVES YOU.  

Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Susie!!!! I know I need to be reminded everyday that "God Loves Us".
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...