Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Do you believe?

I am struggling today.  Lost in grief, frightened, troubled.  In less than a week, three people that I know, and loved have died. Last month was better, but still lost two who it seemed were too young to go.   I began to wonder what was going on, how does this happen, why does this happen?  It seemed to me the world has become a place of peril rather than something to embrace.  But then I remember it always has been.  As long as the world has gone on, people have died.  That those around me are passing on is not anything new to the world.  And yet, it feels like my world is crumbling around me.  


I went for a walk to try to calm my heart.  Grasp a moment of coherency, before I went to a funeral tonight.  The sky is still bright blue. The birds are still singing.  Nothing is different there.  I thought perhaps that would ease my grief, but I only cried all the more. And then I heard that voice. That still small voice. 


"You believe in God, believe also in me."  I stopped.  I looked up at the sky.  I do believe in God.  I do believe in Jesus as my savior.  It was like I could hear his voice, speaking straight to my heart. When I got back from my walk, I went straight to the Bible and looked it up.  There is was, in John, Chapter 14.  I read it over and over again.  


I have obviously read this many times, hidden it away in my heart.  I have heard over the course of the past 58 years probably hundreds of sermons on this subject.  But nothing like what I heard today.  Nothing like hearing it direct from God, with his still small voice, comforting my heart.  

For those of you grieving today, let not your hearts be troubled.  Just believe.  

Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.
John 14:1 - 6.  


"Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions. If it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also; And where I go, you know, and the way you know."  
Thomas said unto him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going, and how can we know the way?"
Jesus said unto him, 'I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...