Friday, June 17, 2011

The Negative Approach to Life, Or??? Is Up with That??


Why do humans degrade each other with little quips, snide comments and sarcasm?  I have never understood this, although I, like most of the people on the planet have not only suffered from it, but have done it.  It seems to be a rampant disease that has taken over most cultures.  But I remember my grandmother telling me, and it stuck to me like glue “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all!” 

So our culture is more “evolved” than it was 40 or 50 years ago, but I am not sure that evolution has taken a turn for the better.  In fact, if anything, I think it has taken a turn for the worse.  We have espoused the idea that if we poke fun at others, or bring their faults to light, or even more devastating, degrade them because of our own feelings about them we become better.  This could not be farther from the truth. 

I am not talking about venting, or airing your feelings.  I know that this is unavoidable of adult life, and that without it relationships do not grow.  Venting your feelings, in a positive way actually opens the door for that growth.  The problem I see is that we have taken to name calling and degrading people instead of looking within ourselves for better ways to communicate, and perhaps seeing our own fault in issues. 

So I am talking to one person in particular right now, and I am not going to point out who, because then I would fall into the same bracket as that person.  I am attempting, with all that is in me not to hurl an insult to point out that the person needs to GROW UP. 

But when I think about that statement, I think perhaps the opposite is true.  We force our children to be “nice” to each other.  We punish them when they call names.  In the mean time, we are in the back room sucking our own thumbs.  Nuff said. 

One thing comes to mind. 
“Be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving, even as God in Christ, forgave you” 
Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.
Guess that means me too, huh?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, "BE KIND", and tenderhearted and forgiving...love the video !!! Perfect!!!
    :)
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...