Sunday, July 3, 2011

Keep Shining!!



I took a walk across the hills this morning, watching the moon wane, and the sun begin its ascent.  Lately, I have felt that I am the waning moon, just barely showing itself in the sky, rather than a brilliant sunrise.  And that has bothered me.

For one, I would like to be out of this funk, and off laughing somewhere.  For two, I would like to be off doing something other than what I have been doing.  But I am stuck. Stuck in the middle of taking care of an elderly parent, stuck in the heat, stuck in a rut.  Or so I have thought.

This morning I was listening to a song on my MP3 player that has been there that I just sort of skipped past for the last 10 years.  The song, by Third Day, Keep Shinin’ was a wake up call for me. 

I have been wearing myself out trying to do everything for everybody.  Yes, this is one of my greatest faults.  Because when I am in this mode, I occasionally, or often as my daughter states it, get grumpy.  She has even accused me of being like my dad, which only made me grumpier.  What am I reflecting when I am like that, and whose fault is that?  Answer to first question. Nothing good. Answer to second question. Mine.

“Let your light so shine before all men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father, which is in Heaven.“  Mr. Matthew had a point there that I often forget.  Not the “Letting your light shine” part, nor the “See the good works” part, but the “Glorify your Father in Heaven” part.

Walking out in the beautiful morning, I thought about all that I was seeing.  The earth, fresh with the scent of rain, the rocks gleaming in the sun, and the moon, waning just to a faded light; all of these things reflect the glory of God.  They don’t DO anything to show His glory.  I did not notice any of the rocks jumping up and down and screaming “Hallelujah! “  And the mountains have not put up any billboards advertising, “Go to church today! “   No, they are just what God made them.  The waning moon, although dim this morning, was just being the moon, not attempting to continue shining on its own power.

Nothing in nature, except humanity, tries to be something it is not.  It does its job simply by being what it was created to be. Humans seem to struggle to grasp this concept.  We think we need a new program, or a new mission, or a new calling in order to shine.  We try to BE the light.  And in doing so, we shine brightly for a while, then go out like candles with no wicks.

We are not self-powered green energy.  We cannot create our own light. If we try, we may burn bright for a while, but we will soon become dim, and then darkness sets in.  What we are is a reflection of the One who created us, who redeemed us, and who gives us the fuel to keep shining a light in a darkened world.  We don’t need to prove anything or try to be something we are not.

We just need to be still and reflect the Son. 
 Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...