Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An Epiphany of Love



Yesterday I was driving along, jamming to some old secular tunes in my car as I usually do.  I was listening to Michael Bolton’s song “Soul of my soul.”  That one always chokes me up, because I think of my children and how much I love them, what they mean to me, and how sometimes they just don’t get that at all.  Oh, yes, they know it, because I tell them constantly, but I don’t think they know it down deep in their being. 

So there I am, singing and driving, and thinking.  The open road spread before me, with a wide view of the city of Tucson stretching out before me.  The sky, blue and endless, mountains in the distance.  And the epiphany happened.  An epiphany, by the way, is when you finally GET IT.  The "IT" I was getting was that God was singing this song to me, telling me once again that He loves me. 

Now this is not anything new.  He has told me in scripture, by taking my sins on the cross, by rescuing me over and over again, mostly from myself.  Thousands of ways He has made it clear that He loves me, and I know it in my head, and occasionally in my heart, but yesterday was with something deep in my gut.

The lyrics say things like “We may be strangers, we may be worlds apart sometimes, it's hard for you to understand.” and: "Child of my heart, I love you more than you know, Soul of my Soul.”
 
It is hard to explain a sudden awareness of God to those who do not know Him, but it is just as hard to explain to those who do know Him; how He takes these odd moments in time, to talk to his children.  Sometimes it is to say nothing more than “I love you.” 

The drive home was in anticipation.  Another song, another epiphany.  Arizona Rain, by Three of Hearts.  Listening, and singing this to God, telling Him, I need to feel His love, that my heart is broken and dry as the Tucson sand.  

I am sure my neighbors think I am nuts.  They see me driving in, in tears, and figure something is wrong.  On occasions like this, some have asked me if I am all right.  My response is, “More than you will ever know.” 

Please take some time to listen to these two songs in order.  The first “Soul of my Soul by Michael Bolton.  The second “Arizona Rain” by Three of Hearts. 


May today be the day you feel God's love. 

(my apologies for any graphics that may seem out of line here.)

2 comments:

  1. Just want to tell you I get this. You have a wonderful way of expressing your relationship with God and I am blessed by it. Thank you for sharing your epiphanies, so true to how He works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a wonderful way of getting through to me. I am always amazed at how He knows me better than I know myself!

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...