Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day!


This is a day we celebrate the women in our lives who fed and clothed us, stayed up late worrying about us and prayed over us.  We honor your courage, conviction and devotion.  We look back at the discipline you gave us, whether that was with sideways glances of “what did you do this time”, rolling eyes, threats of a wooden spoon on our behinds, or just words that we still hold fast in our memories. We are grateful that you didn’t give up on us.

This is not just for those Mom’s who gave birth to us, but for those who took us in when we were homeless, who took us into their hearts when we were heartbroken, and for those who came into our lives and gave us direction when we had no clue what to do.

It is also for those women who became our sister’s and friends.  Who shared the burden and joys of their motherhood. Those who gave us recipes for food, sleep, and a plethora of other advice that we could never have survived without.

I had lots of “Mom’s” in my life and I am grateful for every one of them.  I hope you will stop to remember them, whether or not they are in heaven or still on earth.  You would not be who you are without them.

My own mother went to be with the Lord when she was only 36, but before she left she made sure that I had a place where I was safe and cared for.  My Grandmother Linn was my next mom, and she taught me that what it means to be a “proper” lady goes much deeper than hair and makeup.  My step-mother taught me how to sew and cook, but most of all she taught me that there is some behavior that one does not have to put up with. My Grandma B taught me that loving someone is not all about flowers and romance, but about being there for them, no matter what.

And then there are all the other mom’s in my life.  Those who took me in when I had nowhere to go, who counseled me and loved me even when the choices I made were not good.

If it were not for all of these women, I would probably not still be on this earth.  My only hope is that, in some way, I honored them with my life. 

To all of the Mother’s out there I want to wish you a Happy Mother’s day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...