Thursday, November 18, 2010

Finding a new Title??? DAY 7 of my journey to find joy every day.

I was up late last night.  I googled my blog to see if I could get to it, just by googling the title.  Guess what.  Everyone is finding joy.  So any suggestions on a title would be greatly appreciated. 

On the other side of the coin of sleeplessness and paranoia that the Plagiarism Police will hunt me down, I attended a retirement party today that was amazing.  Mostly because it was for me.  Yes, I filed those papers on Monday, and 1/1/11 is my first official day of retirement.  I figured it would be easy to remember.  Now watch me forget it anyway. 

Seated around a table with friends that I have had lunch with over the course of the last 28 years, it felt very natural.  We do this often.  Even some of those that have retired were there.  So perhaps retirement doesn't mean they buy you a gold watch and send you on your way.  I am trying hard to figure this thing out.  I haven't been in this position for many long years.  The position of figuring out what you are going to do with your life, I mean.

And although it seems a daunting task is ahead of me, for today, I was caught up in the camaraderie of being with my friends. I have spent more time with these women over the course of my life than I have with my parents, siblings, and children. We have shared all of the sorrows and joys of life, death of parents, birth of children, birth of grandchildren, break ups, make ups, and throw ups. They know all my secrets, failures, and faults.  And they still love me.  That is the most amazing thing to me. To be loved for who I am, not what I do, or don't do.  To be accepted as I am, and praised for who I am.  To be open enough with them to share the deepest feelings in my heart, and not be afraid that I will be condemned for even the worst of them.  These few women have shown me wisdom when I had none, tolerance when I was foolish enough to get involved in stupid things.  They have held my hand when I was sick, held my heart when I was sad.  And still kept loving me. In short, they have been the hands and feet of Christ in my life, showing me eternal things.  I hope that they feel that I have done the same for them. 

On my way home from the get-together, I had a smile on my face big enough to stop traffic.  I have been listening to J.J. Heller's new song about being loved for who you are.  And of course, God was kind enough to play it for me on the trip home.  I can't think of a better song to describe how most of us have felt over the course of our lives. Who will love us for who we are?   He who created us! 

And He doesn't stop there.  He knows just where to put us and those who will surround us with their love, so we will be able to know what love really means. 

Girls, thank you all for such a wonderful send off.  Of course, although I may leave my employment to follow other paths, I will never be able to leave you all.  You are my sisters.  In every way shape and form. 

2 comments:

  1. IT WAS WONDERFUL TO SEE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE, EVEN MET SOMEONE NEW!
    I AM KICKING MYSELF FOR NOT TAKING A VIDEO WITH MY CAMERA, BUMMER. OH WELL, NEXT MONTH :)
    LOVE YOU, SUSIE Q.
    TOMMIE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again it is apparent that God has blessed you with many talents. One of which is writing. You always wanted to write (and you have written many poems and stories) and I think this blog you have started gives you the opportunity to share with us your beautiful thoughts and feelings. I love you Sus!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...