Saturday, January 8, 2011

Car trouble, oh the joy!

I left lunch with a friend yesterday, on my way to the nursing home, and the check engine light came on on my car.  Not knowing what that meant, I decided to pass the nursing home up and head straight to the mechanic.  Not that this is a particularly strange thing for my car. 


I promise to delete all expletives here, for the sake of the shame I created for myself yesterday.  As I was saying I headed straight for the mechanic, whose shop is just about a half mile down the road.  Having just rebuilt the engine not even 25000 miles before, replaced every hose, belt, and fluid that could possible be changed or replaced, replaced air conditioning parts, pulleys and whatever else appears to be under the hood, you would think I would have felt confident that it was just some minor glitch.  But you don't know my car. 


My car is an evil thing.  He has ESP, meaning that he knows when money is coming in, and intends to spend it.  He also has a reputation for breaking down.  Not that he is old, or hasn't been taken care of properly, but that he is needy, like some men I used to date.  Note the USED to in that statement. He only has 54000 miles on him, he has new tires and everything new, and he chose NOW to demand more from me.  I currently have $8200.00 in repairs on a vehicle that cost $13000.00 in just a short 18 months.


The mechanic approached me tentatively with that look like "WHAT NOW!"  but did not say it.  Holding my breath slightly, I squeezed out that the check engine light had come on and the car had chugged the 1/2 mile to his shop.  He explained the routine I am so well used to now.  This will cost blah-blah-blah to check it, and if this is what is wrong you will have to pay blah-blah-blah.. Somewhere in his required statement, my mind went numb.  I asked him if he had kerosene and a match so I could set it on fire.  Of if he would kindly run it off the cliff in the back of his shop.  And a few other things that I said I would delete here.  He chuckled a little and patted me on the shoulder, like "There, there.. it is not all that bad.."  Off to work he went.  Three hours later he presented me with a $300.00 bill, and his condolences on my choice of vehicles. In addition, he told me that it would soon require another $1200.00 for a timing belt and an additional $900.00 for shocks and struts.  If you total that all up, in the near future I will have paid $14,300.00 for a $13000.00 vehicle!  The added plus to the cost is the apologies I had to give for my behavior...


Where is the joy in this?  Well, I had three hours to think how I got into this mess.  I realized that it is all my own doing, my own lust for vehicle pride, and the prayers I had recently prayed regarding my car.  I had asked God to guide me on whether I should pay it off and keep it, or buy something else.  I definitely realized that this breakdown was an answer to my prayer.  Just like God, clear and definite, if I choose to listen.  The joy in this is that God answered and I was listening.  Nothing like hitting the pocket book to get my attention, Lord! 


Anyone know of a good vehicle for sale??
Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...