Saturday, February 19, 2011

Keep Your Chin Up!

"Keep your chin up, Kiddo!"  I used to hear this said whenever hard times hit, and understood it to mean that I needed to keep going.  But this morning, I find a new meaning to these words of encouragement.  


Last night an old friend of mine went to be with the Lord.  We had not spoken in many long years, but that did not diminish the love I had for her.  When we were young and foolish, she was one of few who stuck by my decisions, when I finally chose to do what was right.  Although her own life, had many, many trials and failures, all I remember of her, is her beautiful smile and her love of life. I know that last night she walked through those gates at Heaven, and met our Savior.  


I woke feeling kind of empty this morning, shedding a few tears, mostly for her family and her children.  Her last days were a struggle for them.  How do you deal with the loss of one who is so young?


I went outside just to view the morning, and to share my personal grief for her loss with God, and there was the most glorious sight.  Dark clouds, but behind them, a glorious light, which colored the edges of them in golden and orange and pink.  I had to tilt my head back to take it all in, for it ran from one side of the sky to the other.  As tears rolled down my cheeks, I lifted my face to the sky, and in that moment, all of my thoughts and heart poured out to the Lord.  I knew that Toni was with Him.  I knew that she had seen Him face to face.  I knew her suffering was over, and her life was just beginning.  Behind all of the dark clouds of her life, there was a glory waiting to shine through, and she was seeing it now, from the other side. 


If I had kept my face in my hands, grieving, I would not have noticed the beautiful sky.  If I had just kept my thoughts to myself, head bent in sorrow, I would not have seen the glory of the morning.  I had to keep my chin up in order to clearly see all of that.  


My words of advice... Keep your chin up!   Look to the Lord for all of your comfort and needs.  


"I will lift mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help.  My help comes from the Lord." 
Psalm 121. 
Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful mom! I'm glad that the Lord has comforted you this morning!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...