Thursday, February 17, 2011

What you can and cannot do; knowing your limitations.

I can hear my Grandad singing his little diddy in my ear about some train that pulled some horrific load and managed to accomplish it.  I am not that train today.  I think I can, I think I can did somehow turn into I thought I could, but not with the positive spin on it that the story has.


What I THOUGHT I could do is create a website, have my own domain, and have it work.  However, what I accomplished was a total train wreck.  I won't go into all the particulars lest I bore my readers, but I will tell you this, I definitely was not acting very much like a Christian as I tried to recoup all my work.  I had lots of expletives to delete, enough so that the dog went into the corner and hid, and even the cat forsook me. I am SO glad that there were no children within earshot. 


But, the positive thing is, that once I settled down and reasoned my way around my limitations (which I have a tendency to ignore to my own undoing), I was able to reason my way back to having a blog.  Hopefully.  We will see. 


It is not that I am not fairly accomplished in the things of the new technology, it is that I think I am more accomplished than I really am.  And it doesn't just fit the technology thing, it goes for all my walks of life.  I have a tendency to take on more than I can handle, and still try to handle it.  Sometimes the finished product is nothing like what I intended it to be. 


Take my Christmas sewing project.  I intended to make (1) a nightgown for my dad, (2) a dress for my grand daughter (3) A Patriots shirt for my son and (4) a hunting shirt for my oldest son.  I started off well.  It only took me umpteen hours at the fabric store to begin to understand that the cost of these projects was beyond my current means.  But no, my train was in drive and I kept chugging.  At the realization that I could not do what I planned, I switched to plan F, because all the other plans were out the window.  I worked and worked until I was grumpy, and not very Christmas like. 


But I accomplished something.  Here were my results.  Dad got a nightgown made out of soft baby blanket material to keep him warm.  It did not matter that the sleeves hung to the floor and looked like the sleeves on a monks robe.  I just cut them off and sewed up the ends and made nightcaps.  I thought that was resourceful.  Until he put it on and looked like an 88 year old Wee Willie Winkie. 


My son's Patriot shirt went in the wash after the next game and came out.. well.. blank. 
My grand daughter is still wearing her nighties.. No dress.
My oldest Son has his hunting shirt, but it has a stick figure deer on it with a stick figure man that says, "Me hunter, You dinner." 


In all fairness, I tried.  Just as I tried with my website.  I think perhaps it takes a little humbling to understand your limitations.  I seem to be getting a lot of that these days.  God must be preparing me for something, I just hope that I can do what He wants, and I hope it is not a website or a nightgown.

Copyright © 2011 by Susan Linn-Gomez. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...