Friday, October 25, 2019

Listen and You will know Him



About 20 years ago, my daughter informed me she wanted to be baptized.  I was ecstatic of course and we made all the arrangements.  In my churches case, that means showing up when baptisms are being performed and bringing a change of clothes and a towel.  At the time, our church did not have a baptistry so we were “borrowing” one from another church.  Eventually, our church gave that all up because there were too many being baptized at one time.  Now we do it at a public pool where all who want may come and be baptized.  I have seen as many as 20 or more be baptized like this.  It reminds me of what is described in the scriptures as people went down to the Jordan River to be baptized.  But on to my experience.

We loaded up the car that evening, with all the necessary things, and of course, the kids.  (I mean what else do you need to be baptized but people, their commitment and water?)   And off we went.  I was so happy to have all my kids with me and a few friends to witness this momentous occasion.  But deep in my heart was this longing.  I had never seen my boys baptized, never heard of them getting baptized. Needless to say communication between the goings on at my Ex’s house and mine was limited to athletic game times and pick up and drop off times.  So I was wondering as we drove on to the church, if that had happened and I never was informed of it. 

However, when we got there, I became the busy mom, getting my girl settled in the women’s’ side of the baptistry, telling her what was going to happen, and listening to her say “I know mom, I know” and watching her roll her eyes.  Then I went down front to watch this amazing occasion.  

I sat down right square in the middle of the church, my boys on either side of me, and a couple of friends there to my right.  And then it began, praise songs rising in the sanctuary, as people went down into the water.  I held my breath. It was almost time for my girl to go down. 

And then I heard God’s voice.  As always in my right ear as if He were sitting just behind me.  He said, “I will restore the years that the cankerworm and the locust have eaten.”  In my mind, I was thinking, “All righty Lord, I have no clue what that means.“
And then my oldest son jumped up, all excited and exclaimed, “I’m going to get baptized!!”  And off he ran toward the men’s section.  I had about 3 seconds to catch my breath, and my youngest son jumped up and said “I’m going to get baptized!”  And he jumped up and ran off after his brother.  Believe me, I had to take several deep breaths as this unfolded before my eyes. 

And I watched, as all of my children went down in the water on that most momentous day.  Photos captured showed only them going in, but it could not capture the beating of my heart, and the tears in my eyes.  

Since that day, the Lord has restored much to me that was important.  I am not talking about lands or property or any earthly things.  He has restored to me a belief in Him and His word that I had let the busy-ness of life rob me of so many years ago.  He has built a relationship with me. And He continues to do so.

It has changed some, this hearing from the Lord, because the closer I get to Him, the less He has to shout at me.  Reminds me sometimes of my daughter’s dog, who knows instinctively when she is going to do something, and associates simple words to know what is expected of her.  Actually, Jesus compared His followers to sheep, who are way less attentive than dogs.  I hate to admit it, but we humans are dumber than dogs.  We are compared to sheep who in my experience are stubborn and willful and at times just plain dumb.  But the Lord loves His sheep!! 

John 10:27   “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”

 
Next up, Hackers smacked

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed!

The Least of These

My sons and daughters blessed me so much this weekend.   It was Mother’s day, and they did not leave me alone or forgotten during this qu...